Pages

Tuesday 26 December 2017

Waiata

This is my favourite Waiata, I sang it with the Kapa Haka group.
E te Ariki     (wahine / women only)
Whakarongo mai ra     (tane / men only)
Whakarongo mai ra ki a matou
E te Ariki
Titiro mai ra     (tane / men only)
Titiro mai ra ki a matou
Tenei matou
O tamariki
E whakapono
Ana matou
Ki a koe
Aue!     (wahine / women only)
Aue!     (tane / men only)
Aue!     (wahine / women only)
Aue!     (tane / men only)
Te matua te tamaiti
Wairua tapu e
(Repeat)

E te Ariki is my favourite Waiata because it's very catchy and it's easy to learn. I like to listen to E te Ariki sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Tara,

    Thank you for sharing your favourite waiata with us, I like that you've used something that you've had the pleasure of performing, how awesome!
    I'm curious however; do you know what the song is about?

    My favourite waiata is Paikea. Although my iwi is Tuhoe, I grew up on the East Coast in Gisborne, which is Ngāti Porou, and we used to sing Paikea a lot in school.
    It's also a very catchy waiata, but more than that, it's about a large baleen humpback whale. These baleen humpback whales can grow up to 16 metres long!

    Humpback whales are very important to the people of Ngāti Porou. A famous New Zealand writier, Witi Ihimaera, also features them in stories like Whale Rider.

    Can you tell me a little bit more about E Te Ariki?

    Ka pai e hoa,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete