Pages

Friday 28 December 2018

WK1 D5 A1 - 'Towering Timbers'

Towering Timbers

Logging

So, loggers. People who cut down trees so they can use the wood for things.
First off, why would you ruin a forest?! I know it's for houses and that, but I think if you are going to chop down a bunch a trees in a beautiful NZ forest, then go watch the Lorax..! (Pretty good movie.)
Second, THE ANIMALS! THE POOR ANIMALS!

Reasons to support my argument:
  1. Have you seen the native NZ Forests? I think many people would love to see them and let the trees grow more and more. It's not that fair to cut it down, and I know houses are important, but I mean, let it grow.
  2. Going back to THE POOR ANIMALS. So the animals that live in trees, like birds, will be kicked out of their homes so we can have our homes.
  3. The environment. I think the loggers are damaging our environment.
Need I say more?

Anyways, have a nice day. Enjoy your New Year, eat waffles, and relax in a hotel room.

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora, Tara

    Well done for completing another Summer Learning Journey activity, 'Towering Timbers', and for telling us whether or not you think that logging should be allowed in New Zealand. Thank you for providing your readers with a definition of what 'loggers' are, and for your addition of the resource 'The Lorax' — (a very informative film!). Your second reason for not wanting logging is great and you're completely right, deforestation has a devastating result on animal habitats.
    However, logging doesn't occur in our native forests as Forestry NZ work with predominantly pine forests which are grown deliberately to suit our economies needs, and this is done through the exportation of wood. Did you know that we don't keep a lot of our wood, either? We export it overseas. It is the third biggest export earner for our country.

    I can empathise with where you're coming from though, deforestation in other parts of the world like the Amazon Rainforest is truly terrible!! What do you think about the Government's 'One Billion Trees Programme' where they're planning to plant, you guessed it, ONE BILLION trees in New Zealand by 2028.
    You can read more about it here: https://www.mpi.govt.nz/funding-and-programmes/forestry/planting-one-billion-trees/

    Keep up the great work, Tara!

    Cheers,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Jordan,
      This activity was quite interesting, learning about trees and loggers. I'm glad you like my post! I do love animals, so it would be quite unfair to chop down trees that they live in. And whew, am I glad that there is no logging in our native forests. It's great to know something new, thank you for telling me this information! I know, deforestation is horrible! And in the Amazon Rainforest? I don't think thats fair at all. And ONE BILLION TREES?! Thats a huge number, but that sounds like a great idea! Planting one billion trees in NZ is wonderful, I'm glad you told me this! And thank you for your comment and giving me a link to the One Billion Trees Programme website. I might check it out soon!

      Have a great day,
      Tara

      Delete